The Leavenworth Winter Sports Club Alpine Ski Team is structured for kids aged 7-16.
-- Forms --
General Program Information
The 8-week program is designed for skiers of all levels who want to improve their ski racing abilities and experience what ski racing has to offer.
As a program, our primary focus is that each participant learns the important life skills of independence, discipline, work ethic, how to fail, how to succeed, commitment, teamwork, sportsmanship, and goal setting.
On the snow, our goal is to ensure all participants understand the fundamentals of skiing, can navigate slalom and giant slalom courses, and be able to handle any terrain the mountain may offer.
The program also offers kids the opportunity to try out the Nordic Ski Jump and learn the skill of ski jumping.
Team Communication & Registration:
This year we are using a Team Management Software called Teamstuff. You’ll register (it will just ask a couple simple questions), and then it will send you a notice of the registration fee. All email communication on any practice changes, updates, etc. will come from the Teamstuff software. We will also post information on our team Facebook page as well which is located HERE.
- Wednesday & Friday
- First day of practice is Wednesday, January 9th, 2019 at the Leavenworth Ski Hill
- Wednesday 5:00PM - 7:00PM
- Friday 5:00PM - 7:00PM
***There will be occasional Saturday pre-announced practices for those interested***
All skiers will meet at the base of the BIG tow at 5:00pm where as a team we will warm up and gather for pre-on-hill instructions. Parents are not required to ski with your child unless they are unable to get up the big tow on their own (please see requirements below).
Our schedule is set to compliment the Nordic Ski Program and most of the kids participate in both programs.
The program includes coaching at the Loup Loup and the Bakke Cup 3 Way Race at the Ski Hill for a total possible 14 training days and 3 race days (snow conditions may impact some years). Some racers may choose to race in other local and regional races including Mission Ridge and Stevens Pass.
Our coaching is parent and volunteer-driven. Fortunately, our little community of Leavenworth has an abundance of talent and enthusiasm. This year we have four coaches that will lead skillful instruction on the fundamentals of ski racing while creating a fun and inviting environment for all levels of skiing.
- Head Coach: Brad Zapalowski
- Assistant Head Coach: Matt Porter
- Assistant Head Coach: Joe Vasta
- Assistant Head Coach/Secretary: Meg Zapalowski
- Equipment Requirements: skis, poles, helmet, leather gloves (highly suggested for the tow – purchase from any lumber store), goggles (clear lenses for older kids).
- Kids must be avid skiers who can handle a variety of conditions and situations.
- Ability requirements need to be met by each individual racer to participate in the program.
- Be able to ride the rope tow (if a skier needs assistance, a parent or guardian must be present with the skier at all times)
- Coaches will determine if the child has the general skiing ability and focus to participate safely on the race course during the first week of practice.
- If it is determined that a skier is not ready for the Alpine Ski Team, a refund of the difference will be offered.
Kids can come a long way in a few weeks of skiing. If your child can make it to the top of the big tow (with poles) unassisted, then they are most likely ready for the team.
At race events, the LWSC Alpine Racers will compete by age and gender brackets against skiers from all over the Northwest.
A few of the top level LWSC Alpine racers may compete in a variety of local and regional races. They will represent the team and have coaches/parents interested in helping to assure them positive support.
Most of the LWSC Alpine Racers will only compete in the Wolf Chase race at Loup Loup race in February, and the races at the Leavenworth Ski Hill. These two events are perfectly suited for first time and younger racers. Each race offers up a unique experience for newer racers to get a feel for the sport in a fun and enriching environment. Parents have a good time too!
Parent participation is essential to ensure that LWSC Alpine Team continues its tradition of fun racing for all involved. All parents are expected to volunteer to work a minimum of two 2-hour days/evenings per season for each racer in our program. Volunteer help is needed on and off the snow. We will have online signups coming soon!
The LWSC Ski Team (Alpine & Nordic) is almost entirely self-funded, coached, and run by parent volunteers. This has allowed the club to remain accessible to any and all kids that want to ski competitively and we have had great success over the years developing the average kid into great adults, and in a few cases onto national and international skiing success. If you are interested in assisting our coaches throughout the year on or off hill, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees & Registration
2019 Alpine Ski Team - $85
Please register prior to the December 15 cut-off. We will need to limit team size after the 12/15 cut-off date.
Fees & Registration Include:
- Coaching: each week coaches will have progressive skills and training designed for all levels of racing.
- Team Apparel: for 2019 each registered skier will receive a LWSC Patagonia team vest.
- Additional fees include extra team apparel (TBD), race weekend costs, race fees, and any team equipment needs.
A LWSC Ski Pass (Membership) is required.
Please contact the Alpine Team Head Coach: