- Age group: skiers between 7-16 years of age
- Goal: Skiers gain the important life skills of independence, discipline, work ethic, how to fail, how to succeed, commitment, teamwork, sportsmanship, and goal setting while gaining an understanding of the fundamentals of alpine skiing; can navigate slalom and giant slalom courses, and be able to handle any terrain the mountain may offer. Skiers are also afforded the opportunity to try out the Nordic Ski Jump and learn the skill of ski jumping.
- Practices: The Junior Alpine Team meets twice weekly (Wednesdays & Fridays, 5 - 7pm) for 8 weeks, starting in January and running through February.
- Registration Fee: TBD
- Contact: Meg Zapalowski
All Ski Team members need to have a LWSC season pass. They are on sale now, and prices will go up at the end of October.
Junior Alpine Skiers meet on Wednesdays and Fridays from 5-7pm. All skiers will meet at the base of the BIG tow at 5:00pm where as a team we will warm up and gather for instructions. Parents are not required to ski with their skier unless the skier is unable to get up the big tow on their own (please see requirements below).
Our schedule is set to compliment the Nordic Ski Program and a large portion of our skiers participate in both programs.
Our coaching is parent and volunteer-driven. Fortunately, our little community of Leavenworth has an abundance of talent and enthusiasm. This program includes coaching at the Wolf Chase at Loup Loup and the Bakke Cup 3-Way Race at Ski Hill. Some skiers may choose to race in other local and regional races including those held Mission Ridge and Stevens Pass.
- Kids must be avid skiers who can handle a variety of conditions and situations.
- Ability requirements need to be met by each individual racer to participate in the program.
- Be able to ride the big rope tow (if a skier needs assistance, a parent or guardian must be present with the skier at all times).
- Coaches will determine if the child has the general skiing ability and focus to participate safely on the race course during the first week of practice.
- If it is determined that a skier is not ready for the Junior Alpine Ski Team, a refund will be offered.
Kids can come a long way in a few weeks of skiing. If your child can make it to the top of the big tow (with poles) unassisted, then they are most likely ready for the team.
Weekly program updates will be available on this webpage under the 'Weekly Updates' tab. The calendar will be updated as well, and links to all of the information will be sent weekly via a Ski Team Newsletter.
At race events, the Junior Alpine Racers will compete by age and gender brackets against skiers from all over the Northwest.
Most of the Junior Alpine Racers will only compete in the Wolf Chase and the Bakke Cup. These two events are well suited for first time and younger racers. Each race offers up a unique experience for newer racers to get a feel for the sport in a fun and enriching environment. And parents have a good time, too!
A few of the Junior Alpine Racers may choose to compete in a variety of additional local and regional races. They will represent the LWSC Junior Alpine Ski Team. Coaches and parents will be present as a support network to aid skiers in registration/ bib collection/ warm ups/ etc.
Parent participation is essential to ensure that the LWSC Junior Alpine Team continues its tradition of fun racing for all involved. All parents are expected to volunteer a minimum of two 2-hour days/evenings per season for each racer in our program. Volunteer help is needed on and off the snow. We will have online signups coming soon!
The LWSC Junior Alpine Ski Team is almost entirely self-funded, coached, and run by parent volunteers. This has allowed the club to remain accessible to any and all kids that want to ski competitively and we have had great success over the years developing the average kids into great adults, and in a few cases onto national and international skiing success. If you are interested in assisting our coaches throughout the year, on or off hill, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skiers need to have skis, poles, a helmet, leather gloves (highly suggested for the tow – we hope to have these available at the Ski Hill ticket booth this year!) and goggles (clear lenses for older kids).
Registration will open in October.
If you want to be the first to know, read your Ski Teams Newsletters. If you're not receiving the Newsletter but would like to, email Callie.
All of the Junior Alpine Coaches are volunteers - be sure to let them know how much you appreciate them!
The Registration Fee goes entirely to the cost of Team Apparel. For the 2019/20 season we're hoping that each Junior Alpine Skier will receive a LWSC Patagonia team jacket and possibly a pair of Kinco gloves (rope tow approved).